Sun, Oct 15|
Location is TBD
BSSC October 15, 2023 Pop-Up
Surf pop-up event available to BSSC members only. This event is designed for beginners, however, all levels are welcome.
Time & Location
Oct 15, 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM
Location is TBD
About the Event
At our Black Surf Santa Cruz Pop-Up Program (PUP), you will learn how to surf in an inclusive environment, build community and experience the many lessons that the ocean has to offer. All equipment, wetsuits and snacks will be provided! No surfing experience is necessary, but we do ask that participants know how to swim. This event is designed for beginners, however, all levels are welcome.
Need to learn how to swim? Pre-register for our Prepare to Pop-Up Program for an opportunity to learn how to swim in community with other members and build your skills and an ocean relationship.About our Pop-Up Program:
Our Pop-Up Program sessions typically last no longer than 3 hours in length and are subject to changes/tide- and weather- dependent. We provide the coaches, equipment, facilitators and experience to Black Surf Santa Cruz members free of charge.
- Pre-Session Meeting - Participants will build community and get to know each other, learn how to become better land stewards, have an opportunity to give back to the land, honor indigenous ancestors and build community. Get equipment and have an opportunity to change into wetsuits.
- On Land /Sand Session - Participants will be guided through a sand session where they will have the opportunity to learn basic ocean safety, brief surf history, surfing best practices and safety tips; how to enter and exit the water safely; and how to surf.
- In Water Session -Participants will use their newfound surfing knowledge and will spend time experiencing surfing in community with other participants.
- Community Healing/ Debrief - Following the water session, participants will engage in a restorative discussion circle and/or activity.
- Physical and spiritual wellness
- Community building
- Knowledge of local history, ocean safety and surf best practices
Lessons from the ocean that can be applied to our everyday lives:
- Courage / Self-actualization
Minimum enrollment is 4 participants per session. Maximum enrollment is 8 participants per session. Events are tide-dependent and subject to changes and cancellations. Please check your email the morning of the event for the most recent updates. Participants must be 18 years or older.About Black Surf Santa Cruz:
Our mission is to provide physical and spiritual wellness through surfing for Black, Indigenous, and other historically excluded groups and communities of color. Our programs emphasize joy and liberation and aim to increase mental wellbeing, feelings of belonging and psychological safety.
Come learn with us!
Become a member, here!
Donate to our organization, here!